Saturday, July 20, 2019

34th Street meets Elm Street


So yesterday was nothing special. Not like anything significant happened, right?

Just a little dash of humour.

Let's talk about the  Milan Lucic for James  Neal. I had some time to think about why the Flames executed the deal. I understand it, but I don't like it.

Nightmare on Elm Street - Trading Neal for Lucic

What does Milan Lucic bring to the Flames? When I  asked my source, he said, "Milan gives us a different dimension, something this team has not had for some time." Milan is a true power forward who can get the garbage goals." Take it for what it is worth; the Flames lack toughness. They got pushed around too much last season. The coaching staff felt the Flames lacked leadership; a player who will do what it takes to win. They love Lucic's attitude. He is a player's player. He will lead by example.

He asked me what I thought of the trade. My response: "I did not like it at first. But now I understand it. Lucic will help the powerplay and give us a big body in front of the net. It is a fresh start for both players and both teams. Neal will produce at a higher rate in Edmonton. Lucic will perform better than in the past few years, so it will help the Flames also.

My initial thoughts on the deal

I  will be honest. My first reaction that it was like getting a kick in the teeth. That is the main reason I put off the blog for a day. I was looking at the stats. But the stats did not tell the full story. My heart understands Lucic putting too much pressure on himself, but my head says that is why he gets the big bucks. It comes down to my feeling that Neal has more potential than Lucic. I understand the transaction, but I still don't like the trade. Whether Lucic succeeds or not depends on how he handles the pressure in Calgary.

What does this have to do with Bennett?

I wish I had some insight here. What it comes down to is that the Flames are trying to keep Bennett. The main problem is that there are not too many other options.   The potential to trade Brodie is there, but the Flames are asking a lot, and teams feel it is too much. There is the option, of course, of Stone being bought out. But the Flames prefer the trade. That pretty much leaves Bennet in limbo with no place to go.

Miracle on 34th Street: The new building announcement

The Flames and the City are close to getting a new arena. It is nice to see the parties coming to a tentative agreement. A new arena will make it easier to entice players to come to Calgary. According to the Flames, they were never leaving Calgary. This is just one step closer to getting our fans into an arena that works for everyone.

The Flames needed the new arena for the suites; it will bring in more revenue. And like I say, players will want to come here. The finalization of terms should take about six months and construction could begin by the spring.

One final word

What is going on with Tkachuk?  Nothing new to report here. My source says when it is done, it is done.  It is close, but sometimes when it is close, there is still a lot of work to be done. There are no worries, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment